Baked Southwest Chicken Egg Rolls are packed with seasoned chicken and veggies, then baked until crispy and golden brown. Southwest Egg Rolls are served with an avocado dipping sauce, which is easy and perfect! This Baked Egg Rolls Recipes makes an outstanding appetizer to feed a crowd or a healthy after school snack!
Table of Contents
Chicken Egg Rolls (Southwest Egg Rolls)
Southwest Chicken Egg Rolls are a great appetizer recipe or even a quick and easy lunch the entire family will love. Packed with flavor, sure to please, and completely fool proof.
Say goodbye to those bland frozen egg rolls stuffed with cabbage because there’s a new egg roll in town and it’s bursting with flavor! My love for Mexican-inspired and Southwest flavors runs deep so I decided to get a little creative with my favorite ingredients and make these Baked Southwest Chicken Egg Rolls.
These Southwest Egg Rolls are filled with seasoned chicken breast, black beans, corn, cheese, green chiles, red pepper, and onion. The result is all of my favorite Tex-Mex flavors packed onto an egg roll wrapper and rolled up into a tight little bundle of deliciousness.
I serve these Baked Southwest Chicken Egg Rolls with avocado cilantro dipping sauce. The cool, ranch-like dip is the perfect complement to the crispy egg rolls, especially when served warm right of the oven.
What ingredients are in Southwest Egg Rolls:
We have packed these Baked Chicken Egg Rolls with all the Tex Mex flavors we love the most! You can customize with flavors your family loves, but here is how we love to make them:
- Black Beans
- Red Bell Pepper
- Green Chiles
- Green Onion
- Shredded Cheese (I love Monterrey Jack!)
How to Make Baked Southwest Chicken Egg Rolls
There are 4 main steps to make this Baked Egg Rolls Recipe:
- Prepare the chicken. I used boneless skinless chicken breasts and sliced them in half to give me thin filets. From there, I seasoned the chicken well and sautéed them over medium-high heat to get a nice little char on the outside.
- Prepare the fillings. Once the chicken has cooled, I chopped it into small pieces and added it to a large bowl with the rest of the filling ingredients. Mix it all up and you’re ready to roll!
- Prepare the egg rolls. First, place the egg roll wrapper down in a diamond shape and scoop a portion of the filling onto the middle of the wrapper. Then, dip your finger in a little dish of water and wet the top point of the wrapper. Bring the bottom point of the wrap up over the filling and fold in the two sides and roll everything up! This step might seem a little tricky at first, but after the first couple times you’ll be rolling like a pro!
- Bake the egg rolls. To give the egg rolls a nice golden brown crispy texture on the outside, I brushed them with a bit of olive oil. You could also spray them with cooking spray. The egg rolls bake in the oven for 15-17 minutes and will need to be flipped halfway through. I set a timer for 8 minutes so I remembered to flip them.
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients and instructions.
How to Make Avocado Dipping Sauce
Just LOOK at that creamy Avocado Dipping Sauce! It’s the perfect dipping sauce recipe for these Southwest Chicken Egg Rolls, but is also amazing with chicken nuggets, chips and salsa, or even as a topper for steak! Yes, this is a chicken site, but I still love steak.
What’s an egg roll without a really good dipping sauce, right? This homemade avocado cilantro dip is just what these Baked Southwest Chicken Egg Rolls need.
Creamy avocados and tangy Greek yogurt make up the base of the dip. To that, I added garlic, green onion, lime juice, and cilantro which gives the dip an amazing cilantro ranch flavor.
To prepare the dip, you’ll need a food processor or blender. Simply add all the ingredients and blend until smooth (It’s THAT EASY!). Be sure to give it a taste and adjust before serving.
One thing that I love about this dip is that it’s totally fool-proof and customizable. If you love the tangy flavor of lime juice, there’s no harm in adding more. If you’re not a fan of Greek yogurt, you could simply leave it out and add in another avocado.
Although rare, if there’s any leftover dip, it’s super tasty on other dishes like tacos, salads, burrito bowls, and even scrambled eggs!
Tips for Freezing
This recipe makes a big batch of about 20 egg rolls. If you don’t plan on eating them all in one day, that’s okay. These Baked Southwest Chicken Egg Rolls freeze well! There are a couple options for freezing depending on the number of egg rolls you want to bake:
- Bake them all at the same time and freeze any leftovers. Store the leftover egg rolls in a freezer plastic bag or container. When ready to bake, take them out of the freezer, place on a sheet pan, and bake at 350 for 15 minutes.
- Bake only the egg rolls you’ll need and freeze the unbaked egg rolls. Store unbaked egg rolls in a freezer plastic bag or container. When ready to bake, take them out of the freezer, place on a sheet pan, brush with olive oil or spritz with cooking spray, and bake at 425 for 15-20 minutes, flipping halfway through.
If your freezer space allows, it helps to first place the egg rolls on a sheet pan or plate to freeze so the egg rolls don’t stick together. Then, transfer the frozen egg rolls to a plastic bag or container to continue freezing.
These Baked Southwest Chicken Egg Rolls are an ideal appetizer to serve at your next gathering because they will feed a crowd, especially if you serve them in halves to display the vibrant filling!
We haven’t had any parties recently so I’ve been loving the fact that I have a huge stash of egg rolls in my freezer that I can pop in the oven for a quick, healthy snack!
Whether you serve these Baked Egg Rolls for Game Day or just as a fun family lunch, these Baked Southwest Chicken Egg Rolls paired with the avocado dip are easy to make and so incredibly tasty!
Be sure to check out some other Easy Chicken Recipes we love!
- Easy Chicken Piccata
- Sheet Pan Caprese Chicken
- Best Buffalo Chicken Wings
- Southwest Chicken Bake
- Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Healthy Chicken Enchiladas
Southwest Chicken Egg Rolls
- 14 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 can black beans drained
- 1 1/2 cups corn frozen is fine
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 can 8 ounces green chiles
- 2 green onions chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese like Monterrey Jack, Mexican blend, or cheddar
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 20 egg roll wrappers
Avocado Cilantro Ranch Dipping sauce:
- 3 large avocados or 4 small/medium
- 3/4 cup packed cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 green onions
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- Dash of salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Slice each chicken breast in half horizontally to make thin filets. Season each piece with a mix of salt, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and onion powder. Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Sauté the chicken for a few minutes on each side until the cooked through. Once the chicken is cool, chop into small pieces.
- Add the chicken and the rest of the egg roll ingredients, except the wrappers, to a large bowl. Stir to combine.
- Place an egg roll wrapper down in a diamond shape. Wet the top point of the wrapper with your finger. Place 1/4 cup of filling in the center of the wrapper. Take the bottom point of the wrapper and fold it up over the filling. Take the two points on each side and fold them into the middle of the egg roll and roll everything up. Once rolled, ensure the outside seam is sealed. Repeat this step until the filling is gone.
- Place the egg rolls on a baking sheet and give them a quick spritz of cooking spray or lightly brush each roll with olive oil.
- Bake the egg rolls for 15-17 minutes, flipping them halfway through so they are browned on both sides.
- While the egg rolls are baking, prepare the dipping sauce. Add all the dipping sauce ingredients to a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth.