Mix up your next Mexican night with these delicious slow cooker chicken burritos. Simple to make, the chicken, rice and bean filling is wonderfully seasoned for a tasty meal that the whole family will love.
When it comes to Mexican night, I often opt for tacos, but every now and again we like to mix things up with these super delicious slow cooker chicken burritos.
This recipe is perfect for those busy days. Just add everything to the Crockpot and you will have a delicious dinner waiting for you.
Made with shredded chicken breast and loaded with beans, tomatoes, rice and cheese, every bite is loaded with your favorite Mexican flavors.
Be sure to try my Crockpot Shredded Chicken Tacos and Homemade Chicken Enchiladas too!
Why You’ll Love this Shredded Chicken Burrito Recipe:
- Kid friendly: Flavorful but mild in spice, this is a great family meal. It’s also easy to make spicier if you prefer!
- Make ahead: This is a great make ahead meal and is freezer friendly too.
- Hearty and filling: These chicken burritos are one delicious feast! Made from scratch they are sure to satisfy hungry mouths!
The slow cooker is one of my favorite kitchen tools, and these shredded chicken burritos come out so flavorful and juicy. Take the stress out of dinner time with this easy dump and go recipe.
How to Make Chicken Burritos
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Place the chicken breasts in the slow cooker and sprinkle over the homemade seasoning.
- Pour over the tomatoes and beans and cook.
- When ready, remove the chicken from the Crockpot and shred it.
- Return the chicken to the sauce with cooked rice and stir to combine.
- Roll the filling into tortillas with some cheese and your favorite toppings.
This recipe calls for boneless, skinless chicken breasts, but you could also use boneless, skinless chicken thighs.
No, you cannot. Frozen chicken will not get out of the temperature danger zone quickly enough, and this allows bacteria to grow. Be sure to use fully thawed chicken.
In general, smaller pieces of chicken should be cooked on low, while larger pieces should be cooked on high. However, with whole chicken breasts, you can cook on low or high, depending on the time you have.
No, it will dry out the longer you cook it, so be sure to temperature check the chicken and stop cooking once it reaches 165°F.
These chicken burritos are so effortless to make in the Crockpot and are one delicious family meal. The hardest part is deciding what toppings to add–if you are wondering, it’s sour cream, guacamole and cilantro for me!
Store leftover slow cooker chicken burrito filling in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Assemble burritos just before serving.
Freeze chicken burrito filling in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Let thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating and assembling.
- Chicken: You can use boneless, skinless chicken thighs instead of breasts.
- Beans: You can use pinto beans instead of black beans.
- Seasoning: You can use a packet of taco seasoning in place of all of the spices.
- Cheese: You can use whatever type of cheese you prefer.
- Tortillas: You can use corn or flour tortillas, or you can serve the filling atop salad greens or rice to make burrito bowls.
I love that this recipe is freezer friendly, and it easily makes enough filling for 8 burritos, so it’s a great option for an easy dinner the next week. Flavorful and hearty, shredded chicken burritos are so easy to make in the slow cooker!
If you’ve made this recipe, please be sure to let us know by leaving a star rating or a comment below. Enjoy!
Slow Cooker Chicken Burritos Recipe
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 10 ounces diced tomatoes and chilies (1 can)
- 15 ounces black beans rinsed and drained (1 can)
- 1 cup cooked rice white or yellow
- 8 burrito-sized tortillas corn or flour
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
For Serving (optional)
- Pico de gallo
- Sour cream
- Black olives
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Place the chicken breasts in the crock of a 6-quart slow cooker. Combine the salt, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, and peppers in a small bowl, then sprinkle the seasoning over the chicken.4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon onion powder, ½ teaspoon dried oregano, ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Pour the tomatoes & chilies and beans over the chicken.10 ounces diced tomatoes and chilies, 15 ounces black beans
- Seal the slow cooker and cook on low for 4-5 hours, or high for 2-3 hours, until the chicken is cooked to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- When the chicken is cooked, remove it to a bowl and shred it, then return it to the slow cooker and stir it into the mixture. Add the cooked rice and stir to combine.1 cup cooked rice
- Divide the filling between the tortillas, sprinkling 1-2 tablespoons of shredded cheese in each before rolling them up and serving them with your favorite burrito toppings.8 burrito-sized tortillas, 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, Guacamole, Sour cream, Salsa, Black olives, Chopped fresh cilantro, Lime wedges, Pico de gallo
- You can use boneless, skinless chicken thighs instead of breasts.
- You can use pinto beans instead of black beans.
- You can use a packet of taco seasoning in place of all of the spices.
- You can use whatever type of cheese you prefer.
- You can use corn or flour tortillas, or you can serve the filling atop salad greens or rice to make burrito bowls.
- Nutritional information does not include optional toppings.
Leave a Review