Perfect for little ones, this mini chicken pot pie recipe can be used as an appetizer or main course meal! The whole family will love it!
Mini Chicken Pot Pies for an appetizer or main course
Made with fresh veggies, chicken, and heavy cream, this mini chicken pot pie recipe is creamy and nutritious. It’s a hit with everyone in my family, but especially the little ones. If you are looking for something quick and easy, this is the perfect recipe.
Fresh celery, peas, carrots, and juicy chicken smothered in a creamy buttery sauce, this recipe is both delicious and nutritious. What I love about this recipe is that it is perfect as an appetizer or as a complete dinner option.
As an appetizer, everyone can have 1 before dinner. As a main course, everyone can have 2 or more.
Why You’ll Love this Individual Chicken Pot Pie Recipe:
- It’s nutritious. Filled with protein and fresh veggies, these pot pies don’t just taste delicious, they are nutritious too.
- They are perfect for kids. Kids may not be able to eat a whole chicken pot pie, but they can surely eat a mini one.
- You don’t need any sides. With everything baked into your little mini pot pies, you don’t really need to make anything else for this meal unless you want to.
How to make Mini Chicken Pot Pies in a muffin tin
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Add your chicken broth to a small saucepan and allow to heat on the stove.
- Heat the butter and add the chopped onions and celery cooking for about 5 minutes.
- Then, add the garlic and cook another two minutes.
- Add SeasonAll, garlic powder, and thyme stirring to mix.
- Stir in the warmed chicken broth, cream, shredded chicken, frozen peas, and carrots bringing them to a boil.
- Turn down to simmer until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Roll the pie crust on a lightly floured surface, and cut twelve 3” circles.
- Add each circle to a cupcake hole in the cupcake tray.
- Spoon ¼ Cup of the filling into each dough-filled round.
- Cut strips in the other 3-inch circles and crisscross them over the top of the pie.
- Brush the beaten egg over the top of each pie, lightly.
- Bake your mini chicken pot pies in the oven for about 20-25 minutes.
What Type of Pan do you Need for Mini Chicken Pot Pies?
In order to make these mini chicken pot pies, you will need a muffin tin. I used a standard 12 muffin tin. However, if you want your pot pies to be a little bigger, you can use the jumbo muffin pan which makes only 6.
How Many Pot Pies Does This Make?
This recipe makes about 12 mini chicken pot pies. Depending on the size of your muffin tin, you may be able to make a few more or a few less. The serving size for this recipe is two mini pot pies.
Can I Use Homemade Pie Crust?
If you want to make this recipe even better, you can absolutely make homemade pie crust. I tend to use refrigerated pie crusts to save on time, but you can always make your own.
Check out this Homemade Pie Crust Recipe to learn how to make your own.
Recipe Tips and Notes
- Prep the muffin pan. Don’t forget to spray some non-stick spray in the muffin holes. They will stick if you don’t, and makes it difficult to get out each pie.
- Cut your dough ahead of time. Before I even begin cooking, I like to cut the dough and have the bottoms in the tin. This saves on time and makes me feel less rushed while the filling is simmering.
- Cut down on prep. You can use chicken breasts too. If you don’t have a precooked rotisserie chicken, you can use chicken breasts and shred them. Check out my Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Recipe.
Whether you want a little something to hold everyone over before dinner, or want a delicious hearty dinner for the kids, this recipe is perfect all around. It’s easy to make, nutritious, and absolutely delicious.
More bite sized chicken recipes we love
- Chicken Parmesan Sliders
- Chicken Fajita Quesadillas
- Air Fryer Chicken Tenders
- Chicken Wonton Tacos
- Chicken Hand Pies
- Homemade Chicken Nuggets
If you’ve made this recipe, please be sure to let us know by leaving a star rating or a comment below. Enjoy!
Mini Chicken Pot Pies Recipe
- 2 cups unsalted chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons salted butter (½ stick)
- ½ sweet onion chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon Season-all seasoned salt such as Morton
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 12 ounces frozen peas and carrots (1 bag)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 refrigerated pie crusts (2 packages)
- 1 large egg beaten
- Add the chicken broth to a small saucepan and allow to heat on the stove.2 cups unsalted chicken broth
- In the meantime, add the butter to a Dutch oven or skillet and heat to medium heat. Add the chopped onion and celery and cook for 5 minutes, until translucent. Add the garlic and cook a further 2 minutes.4 tablespoons salted butter, ½ sweet onion, 1 stalk celery, 1 clove garlic
- Add the Season-all, garlic powder, and thyme and stir into the mixture.1 tablespoon Season-all seasoned salt, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Add the flour and continue to whisk while the flour settles in until the lumps have disappeared and it’s a kind of creamy consistency.¼ cup all-purpose flour
- Stir in the warmed chicken broth, the cream, shredded chicken and frozen peas and carrots.1 cup heavy whipping cream, 12 ounces frozen peas and carrots, 4 cups cooked shredded chicken
- Stir well and bring to a boil. Turn down to a simmer and do a taste test. Season with salt and pepper to taste.Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- While the filling mixture is simmering roll out the pie crust on a lightly floured surface. Using a 3-inch cookie cutter, or a ramekin, or something of similar size, cut out circles of the dough. Add each circle to a cupcake hole in a cupcake tray. Using your fingers press to fill the well evenly.4 refrigerated pie crusts
- Spoon ¼ cup of the filling into each dough-filled round.
- Using the same 3-inch shape, cut slices through to create lengths of dough to top each pie, in both directions.
- Brush the beaten egg over the top of each pie, lightly.1 large egg
- Bake in a 425°F oven for about 20-25 minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool for 10 minutes before eating.