Warm your soul with this Mexican inspired chicken tortilla soup. Made in around 30 minutes, thanks to the trusty Instant Pot, this soup is all kinds of delicious!
Pressure Cooker Tortilla Soup
You are going to adore this vibrant Mexican soup! So easy to make in the Instant Pot, every bite is bursting in flavor!
Spicy and warming, this Instant Pot chicken tortilla soup is so simple and easy to make, and it’s loaded with natural and healthy ingredients. Grab a spoon!
Be sure to try my Chicken Noodle Soup and Chicken Coconut Soup too!
Why You’ll Love this Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe:
- Quick and easy: This chicken tortilla soup is so simple to make in the Instant Pot, and it’s ready to enjoy in around 30 minutes.
- One pot: Because everything is all cooked in the pressure cooker, clean up is a breeze!
- Make ahead: This soup is perfect for meal prep and freezer meals!
How to make Instant Pot chicken tortilla soup
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Saute the onion.
- Add in the seasonings.
- Stir in the broth and vegetables.
- Add the chicken.
- Cook at pressure and naturally release.
- Shred the chicken thighs and stir everything together.
- Serve with tortilla strips and your favorite toppings.
Can you make it ahead of time?
This Instant Pot chicken tortilla soup is perfect for weekly meal prep. Once the soup has cooled transfer it to an airtight container and it will keep well in the fridge for 4 days. Reheat it on the stovetop or for 3 minutes in the microwave. Take care to only reheat the soup once.
This soup also freezes really well (without the tortilla strips) and will keep well for up to 6 months. Thaw in the fridge before reheating.
What’s the best cut of chicken to use?
I used chicken thighs for this soup recipe, I love the texture and flavor they add. You can also make this with chicken breasts, they’ll work great too.
What toppings can you add?
This soup is all about the toppings! It’s great as it is, but it comes alive with the additions. Try adding:
- Lime wedges
- Fresh cilantro
- Sour cream
- Sliced jalapenos
- Shredded cheese
This Instant Pot chicken tortilla soup is so effortless to make and it’s full of vibrant flavors. Make a batch and enjoy it throughout the week!
More Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala
- Instant Pot Chicken Pot Pie
- Instant Pot Chicken Stock
- Instant Pot Chicken Drumsticks
If you’ve made this recipe, please be sure to let us know by leaving a star rating or a comment below. Enjoy!
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce finely chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can 15 ounces black beans
- 1 can 14.5 ounces fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cups corn
- 1 can 4 ounces green chiles
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup oil divided
- Fresh cilantro
- Shredded Cheese or Cotija cheese
- Avocado slices
- Lime wedges
- Press the Sauté button on the Instant Pot.
- Add in the oil.
- Once heated, add in the onion and sprinkle with salt.
- Sauté for a couple minutes until softened.
- Add in the garlic, chili powder, cumin, and chipotle pepper and cook for a minute.
- Stir in the chicken broth, black beans, tomatoes, corn, and green chiles.
- Add in the chicken thighs.
- Press the Cancel button.
- Cover the Instant Pot, and set the timer for 15 minutes.
- While the soup is cooking, slice the corn tortillas into thin strips.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add in half of the tortilla strips and fry until golden brown and crispy.
- Repeat by heating remaining 2 tablespoons oil in the skillet and frying the remaining tortilla strips.
- When the soup has finished cooking, let the steam release naturally for 10 minutes.
- Remove the chicken thighs and shred.
- Return the shredded chicken to the Instant Pot and give everything a stir.
- Serve with optional toppings.
Leave a Review