This Huevos Rancheros recipe is hearty, colorful and a delicious way to start your day! Warm tortillas are topped with a runny, sunny side up egg, then married up with beans, avocado, and a sprinkle of cheese. So good!
Breakfast can oftern go one of two ways, it’s either to light or it’s too heavy. This Huevos Rancheros recipe strikes the perfect balance between something that feels hearty but also fresh. Plus it’s all whipped up in 15 mins.
How To Make This Huevos Rancheros Recipe – Step By Step
In a saucepan add cherry tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, white vinegar, lime juice, cilantro, and salt. Then, cook on medium-low heat for 5-10 minutes depending on how cooked you like your sauce.
Crack eggs and fry sunny side up in a pan, for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a non-stick pan warm the tortillas for 2 minutes on each side, until edges begin to brown.
Lay tortillas flat and add fried eggs on top of each tortilla. Add the black beans, sauce, avocado and lime juice.
Sprinkle fresh cilantro, spring onions and shredded cheese and enjoy!
Why Is It Called Huevos Rancheros?
The name huevos rancheros translates as “ranchers eggs”. The idea of ranchers eggs comes from the fact that this is a traditional mid-morning dish among rural Mexican farms.
While this recipe normally consists of just eggs, tortillas, beans, and salsa, you’ll see lots variations as it gained popularity beyond Mexico. But for this specific recipe, we’re sticking to the traditional basics, and the basics are perfect!
A Hearty Vegetarian Breakfast
This Huevos Rancheros recipe is the most perfect vegetarian meal. Not only that but it’s hearty enough and loaded up with protein, so it’ll sate even the most hangry of carnivores!
You can make this recipe as simple or ‘not simple’ as you like. You can use a ranchero sauce, or make fresh salsa or use store bought. You could add pulled pork or chicken, get creative or keep it purist, whatever takes your fancy.
Top Tips For This Huevos Rancheros Recipe
- To make it gluten free be sure to use certified gluten-free corn tortillas.
- To make it dairy free, omit the cheese.
- If serving a crowd, set up a Huevos Rancheros bar with all the fixings and let everyone have at it.
Some like it hot
Try spicy salsa verde for an extra kick!
More Breakfast Recipes
Check Out These Mexican Inspired Recipes
Have you tried this Huevos Rancheros recipe? Feel free to leave a star rating and I’d love to hear from you in the comments below!
- 4 6 ” flour tortillas
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 avocado
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp fresh spring onion
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes quartered
- ½ onion
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- Pinch salt
- Juice of 1 lime
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- ½ jalapeno pepper chopped
- Wash cherry tomatoes and slice in quarters
- Peel and dice onion. Mince jalapeno pepper
- In a saucepan add cherry tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, white vinegar, lime juice, cilantro, and salt
- Cook on medium-low heat for 5-10 minutes depending on how cooked you like your sauce
- In a separate large non-stick pan add extra virgin olive oil
- Crack eggs and fry sunny side up for 5 minutes
- Meanwhile, in a non-stick pan warm the tortillas for 2 minutes on each side, until edges begin to brown
- Slice avocado
- Lay tortillas flat
- Add fried eggs on top of each tortilla
- Add 1 tbsp of black beans on each tortilla
- Add 1 tbsp of sauce on each tortilla
- Add sliced avocado
- Add lime juice
- Sprinkle fresh cilantro, spring onions and shredded cheese and enjoy!