Flavorful, cheesy, and addictive, Crack Chicken Soup is the ultimate comfort meal. Shredded chicken is served in a creamy broth with ingredients like spinach, celery, and onion. What really sends it over the top is the hint of ranch!
Creamy Crack Chicken Soup
If you’re a fan of my favorite Instant Pot Crack Chicken, you’re going to LOVE this soup recipe! It’s got all of the elements you already know and love about crack chicken, but all mixed up in a decadently creamy soup. This is the ultimate comfort meal!
I would say this soup is best served on a chilly day, but honestly, I make it year-round. Even the heat of the summer can’t deter me from this chicken soup! It’s creamy from ingredients like heavy cream and cream cheese, filling from the chicken, and flavorful as can be from the ranch seasoning.
Oh, and did I mention it’s cheesy, too, AND loaded with bacon?!
Why You’ll Love this Chicken Soup Recipe:
- Creamy: The broth in this chicken soup is supremely decadent and rich!
- Filling: Crack chicken soup will actually keep you full! This is a whole dinner all on its own.
- Flavorful: While the ranch seasoning is the most dominant flavor at play, the cheddar cheese and bacon also bring a lot to the table.
There’s nothing quite as cozy (or delicious) as a big, warm bowl of crack chicken soup!
How to Make Crack Chicken Soup
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Cook the bacon.
- Melt the butter, then cook the onion, celery, and garlic.
- Stir in the chicken broth, ranch seasoning, and pepper. Bring to a simmer and add the chicken.
- Stir in the cream cheese and cheddar cheese.
- Add in the spinach and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the heavy cream.
- Serve, and enjoy!
Crack chicken is addictive! It’s a dinner that consists of these basic parts in some form – chicken, bacon, cream cheese, and ranch. You know, all the good stuff!
Yes. Instead of using pre-cooked chicken, stir in 4 cups of diced raw chicken breast in step 3. Simmer until cooked through and continue with the recipe.
Sure thing! Just place the cooled soup into a food storage container and pop it into the freezer, where it’ll stay fresh for up to 3 months.
Is there anything better than bacon and cheddar cheese? Oh yeah – when it’s combined with cream cheese in soup form!
Recipe Tips and Notes
- While you can use half and half instead of heavy cream in a pinch, heavy cream is preferred for richness.
- Shredding a rotisserie chicken is a great easy way to prepare the meat.
- Freshly shredded cheddar cheese will yield the best texture and flavor.
With ingredients this mouthwatering on their own, you just know the soup is heavenly when they’re all combined!
What can I use instead of ranch seasoning mix?
Make your own ranch seasoning! Use ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon onion powder, ½ teaspoon dried dill, ½ teaspoon dried chives, and ½-1 teaspoon salt.
Can I add noodles?
Sure thing! Egg noodles are a perfect addition for this soup. Just toss them in when you pour in the broth.
How long will crack chicken soup stay fresh?
In an airtight container in the fridge, any leftovers you have of this soup will stay fresh for up to 4 days.
Crack chicken soup is one of my favorite easy dinner recipes! It’s quick, delicious, and always gets my family running to the table for dinner. Consider making a large batch of this soup, because people tend to want seconds!
If you’ve made this recipe, please be sure to let us know by leaving a star rating or a comment below. Enjoy!
Crack Chicken Soup Recipe
- 4 slices bacon diced
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 ribs celery diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons ranch seasoning mix
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 8 ounces cream cheese cut into squares
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese plus more for garnish
- 3 cups chopped baby spinach or kale
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- Fresh parsley optional for garnish
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add the diced bacon and cook until crisp. Set aside on a paper towel-lined plate.4 slices bacon
- Add the butter to the pot. Once melted, add the onion and celery. Cook for 5-7 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.1 tablespoon unsalted butter, 1 yellow onion, 2 ribs celery, 2 cloves garlic
- Stir in the chicken broth, ranch seasoning, and pepper. Bring to a simmer, add the chicken, and cook until warmed through, about 5 minutes.6 cups low-sodium chicken broth, 2 tablespoons ranch seasoning mix, ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, 4 cups cooked shredded chicken
- Stir in the cream cheese and cheddar cheese until melted and smooth.8 ounces cream cheese, 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Add the spinach and cook for 2-3 minutes, until wilted.3 cups chopped baby spinach
- Stir in the cream and cook until warm. Serve and top each bowl with the cooked bacon, shredded cheese, and fresh parsley.⅓ cup heavy cream, Fresh parsley
- Chicken: Instead of using pre-cooked chicken, stir in 4 cups of diced raw chicken breast in step 3. Simmer until cooked through and continue with the recipe.
- Ranch: Instead of using ranch seasoning mix, make your own! Combine ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon onion powder, ½ teaspoon dried dill, ½ teaspoon dried chives, and ½-1 teaspoon salt together. Add to the recipe in step 3.