Wonderfully fresh and flavorful Coconut Curry Chicken is made with bright ingredients, zippy spices, and lean chicken breasts. Ready in just 30 minutes, this savory meal will quickly become a weeknight favorite.
Coconut Chicken Curry
Skip the takeout tonight and make from-scratch chicken curry! This Indian-inspired recipe is loaded with coconut milk, coriander, curry powder, fresh ginger, and more.
You’ll love how the flavors and ingredients meld into a luxuriously rich yet fresh sauce – delicious served over rice.
Why You’ll Love this Chicken Curry Recipe:
- FLAVORFUL: Featuring authentic Indian spices, fresh ginger, and creamy coconut milk, this coconut curry is packed with flavor in every bite.
- QUICK: This homemade dinner is on the table in less than 30 minutes.
- ONE POT: Only one pan needed for chicken curry. Easy prep and easy cleanup!
If you’re looking for a perfect meal to dive into after a long day, coconut curry chicken is for you.
How to Make Coconut Curry Chicken
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Cook the chicken.
- Sauté the onion.
- Stir in the garlic, ginger, and spices.
- Add the tomatoes.
- Pour in the coconut milk, bring to a simmer, and serve.
If using frozen chicken, let it thaw in the refrigerator before cutting into bite-sized pieces and using in the recipe.
Add chopped green beans, baby corn, bok choy, mushrooms, or carrots with the onion in step 2.
Yes, this chicken curry is a naturally gluten free recipe.
The homemade yellow coconut curry sauce is the best part of this Indian recipe! It’s perfectly sweet yet savory and totally comforting.
Store leftover chicken curry in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Freeze coconut curry chicken in an airtight container for up to 2 months. Allow to thaw in the refrigerator before reheating and serving.
Tips for Chicken Curry
- Fresh ginger and garlic are best! You’ll taste the difference.
- Use full-fat canned coconut milk for this curry recipe. I like the Thai Kitchen brand.
What to Serve with Chicken Curry
Serve coconut curry chicken with pita or your favorite kind of rice, quinoa, or couscous. You’ll want something there to soak up every last drop of sauce!
Flavor packed and totally crave-worthy, coconut curry chicken hits the spot!
If you’ve made this recipe, please be sure to let us know by leaving a star rating or a comment below. Enjoy!
Coconut Curry Chicken Recipe
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces
- Kosher salt to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 6 cloves garlic rough chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 3 tomatoes chopped
- 15 ounces coconut milk 1 can
- Chopped cilantro for garnish
- Cooked rice for serving
- Heat the coconut oil in a skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until golden and no longer pink. Remove from the skillet and set aside.2 tablespoons coconut oil, 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, Kosher salt, Ground black pepper
- Add the onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic, ginger, curry powder, cumin, coriander and cook until fragrant, about 60 seconds.1 yellow onion, 6 cloves garlic, 1 tablespoon minced ginger, 2 tablespoons curry powder, 1 tablespoon ground cumin, 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- Stir in the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Cook until the tomatoes are softened and juicy, about 3 minutes.3 tomatoes
- Pour in the coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Stir in the chicken and cook until warmed through. Garnish with cilantro and serve over rice.15 ounces coconut milk, Chopped cilantro, Cooked rice