Chicken Parmesan Stuffed Shells are filling, easy, and most importantly – cheesy! Giant pasta shells are stuffed with a saucy chicken cutlet mixture and get baked to perfection beneath a layer of gooey mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Why we love this Chicken Parmesan Stuffed Shells Recipe
- Can I make this stuffed shells recipe spicy?
- How to Store and Reheat
- How to Freeze
- Serving Suggestions
- More Italian Chicken Recipes We Love
- Top Reader Review
- Chicken Parmesan Stuffed Shells
- How to make Chicken Parmesan Stuffed Shells Step by Step
Why we love this Chicken Parmesan Stuffed Shells Recipe
Packed with all of your favorite flavors of chicken parm but with added pasta… Here’s why we’re so obsessed with this stuffed shells recipe!
- Cheesy: Both mozzarella and parmesan make this stuffed shells dinner supremely cheesy!
- Filling: There’s plenty of chicken in the mix to really hit the spot and keep you nice and full. It’s an added bonus that the chicken is dredged and pan fried to crispy perfection!
- Make Ahead: Yes! You can easily prep this dish several hours ahead of time and then just keep it covered in the fridge. When you are ready to serve it you can just pop it into a preheated oven.
Can I make this stuffed shells recipe spicy?
Of course! To add some spice, just sprinkle some crushed red pepper flakes into the chicken filling mixture. Be careful and note that a little goes a long way.
How to Store and Reheat
Store any leftovers you have in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days. You can reheat individual portions in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time until warmed all the way through.
You can also bake the whole dish ahead of time and then just reheat it. Cover it with foil and put in the oven at 350°F for about 20 minutes to warm it back up.
How to Freeze
Let the chicken parm stuffed shells fully cool to room temperature before freezing in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Don’t forget to date and label. Before reheating, allow the dish to defrost in the fridge for a few hours.
There are so many delicious sides to pair with chicken parmesan stuffed shells! Check out just a few of our faves:
- Crispy Garlic Roasted Asparagus
- Olive Garden Salad with Copycat Dressing
- Lemon Parmesan Roasted Broccoli
More Italian Chicken Recipes We Love
- Crockpot Italian Chicken
- Chicken Florentine
- Sheet Pan Chicken Caprese Bake
- Italian Baked Chicken Meatballs
- Chicken Marsala
Top Reader Review
“Such a delicious dinner recipe! My kids have already made me make it twice this week.” – Stephanie
Chicken Parmesan Stuffed Shells
- 12 ounces jumbo shell pasta
- ¼ cup olive oil +1 tablespoon, divided
- 1 cup yellow onion chopped small
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- pinch salt
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ cup all-purpose white flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- pinch black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- ⅓ cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 cup parmesan cheese divided
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- 3½ cups tomato sauce divided
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese sliced thin
- Cook pasta shells al dente (follow package instructions, but cut off 2 minutes from recommended cook time) then set aside.12 ounces jumbo shell pasta
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil to a large skillet, heat over medium.¼ cup olive oil
- Add the onions, sauté 3-4 minutes.1 cup yellow onion
- Add the garlic and season with salt, sauté 2-3 minutes.3 cloves garlic, pinch salt
- Transfer the onions and garlic to a bowl and set aside.
- Pat the chicken dry, slice the breasts in half to create thin cutlets.1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Add the flour, salt and pepper to a shallow bowl.¼ cup all-purpose white flour, ¼ teaspoon salt, pinch black pepper
- Crack the egg and add water into another shallow bowl, and whisk it with a fork.1 large egg, 1 tablespoon water
- Add the breadcrumbs, ⅓ cup parmesan cheese, onion powder, and oregano to a third shallow bowl.⅓ cup plain breadcrumbs, 1 cup parmesan cheese, ¼ teaspoon onion powder, ½ teaspoon oregano
- First coat the chicken in the flour mixture, then dip it into the egg mixture, and then dredge it in the breadcrumb mixture. Repeat with all chicken cutlets.
- Heat ¼ cup olive oil over medium-high heat.¼ cup olive oil
- Add chicken to the skillet and fry for 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Remove chicken from the skillet.
- Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces.
- In a large bowl, mix the chicken pieces with the onions and garlic.
- Add 2 cups tomato sauce, ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese, and ½ cup parmesan cheese.8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese, 3½ cups tomato sauce, 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Pour ½ cup tomato sauce into a large baking dish, spread it out to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Scoop the chicken mixture into the cooked pasta shells and place them in the baking dish.
- Top the shells with 1 cup tomato sauce, the remaining shredded mozzarella cheese, fresh mozzarella, and remaining parmesan cheese.
- Place the baking dish into the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
How to make Chicken Parmesan Stuffed Shells Step by Step
Cook the pasta: Cook a box of 12oz jumbo shell pasta according to package instructions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
Sauté the onions and garlic: Add 1 tbsp olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Add 3 cloves crushed garlic and season with a pinch of salt. Sauté for 2-3 more minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
Dredge the chicken: Pat 1lb chicken breasts dry and slice them in half. Add the 1/4 cup flour, 1/4 tsp salt and pinch of black pepper to a bowl. In a second bowl, whisk together one egg with 1 tbsp water. In a third bowl, mix the 1/3 cup breadcrumbs, 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, 1/4 tsp onion powder and 1/2 tsp oregano. Dredge the chicken in the flour bowl first, then the egg mixture, then the breadcrumbs.
Cook the chicken: Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 4-5 minutes per side. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
Make the filling: Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces. Mix the chicken with the onions and garlic. Add 2 cups tomato sauce, 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella and 1/2 cup parmesan. Stir until combined.
Assemble and bake: Pour 1/2 cup tomato sauce into a large baking dish and spread it into an even layer to coat the bottom of the pan. Spoon the chicken mixture into each cooked pasta shell. Place the stuffed shells in the baking dish. Top the stuffed shells with 1 cup tomato sauce, remaining shredded mozzarella, 4oz fresh mozzarella and remaining parmesan. Bake at 400°F for 20 minutes.