Love chicken parmesan and love lasagna? Now you don’t have to choose between the two! Baked chicken parmesan is layered with noodles, marinara and ricotta cheese for the most delicious baked chicken pasta that’s loaded with texture and flavor.
Chicken Parmesan Bake
I love a good pasta bake for a family dinner, hearty and wholesome it’s always a hit!
This chicken parmesan lasagna recipe takes things up a notch! Chicken breast is coated in parmesan and breadcrumbs and cooked, before being layered with your lasagna ingredients and oven baked for one delicious Italian American mash up!
This casserole recipe is sure to be a hit!
Why You’ll Love this Chicken Parm Lasagna:
- Kid friendly: If you have picky eaters to feed, they are sure to love this family favorite!
- Make ahead: I love lasagnas as you can enjoy them the day you make them, then enjoy the leftovers a couple of days later. Cook once, eat twice! It’s freezer friendly too!
- Easy: While it does take a little prep time to make up this dish, it’s super simple. Plus, the cooking time is totally hands off.
Get the best of both worlds with this delicious chicken parmesan lasagna recipe. Full of flavor and texture, this pasta dish is the epitome of comfort food!
How to Make Chicken Parmesan Lasagna
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Cut the chicken breasts in half and pound flat. Season.
- Dredge the chicken pieces in the flour mix, egg and parm and breadcrumbs.
- Bake til cooked through.
- Spread marinara in the bottom of a baking dish, top with lasagna noodles, ricotta mix and chicken cutlets.
- Top with mozzarella and parmesan and repeat the layers.
- Cover and bake.
Nope! This recipe uses no-boil noodles (sometimes called “oven-ready”), so there’s no need to cook them before assembling.
There’s no need to drain the ricotta here, but you certainly can if you’re worried about it being too wet. The egg will help the ricotta cheese to bind and become less wet, though.
Absolutely! Cottage cheese will yield a lighter lasagna, while ricotta will lend a thicker, richer texture.
Pounding the chicken in step 2 helps to tenderize the meat and keep it from getting tough. If you find your chicken is still tough after pounding it thin, it may be overcooked. I recommend using an instant-read thermometer to avoid over (or under!) cooking your chicken. Take it off the heat as soon as it reaches 165°F internally.
If you are looking to mix up your family dinner time, this is one delicious way to do it! Super tasty and filling, everyone will be pleased you served this!
Make Ahead Instructions
Chicken Parmesan lasagna can be prepared up to 1 day in advance. Assemble the lasagna through step 8, cover tightly with aluminum foil, and store in the refrigerator until ready to bake. Add an extra 15 minutes to the final bake time.
Store leftover chicken Parmesan lasagna in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Chicken Parmesan lasagna can be frozen in 2 ways:
- Entire Pan: You can freeze the entire pan of chicken Parmesan lasagna before or after baking. If freezing before baking, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and freeze for up to 2 months. If freezing after baking, let cool, then wrap and freeze for up to 2 months. Allow to thaw overnight in the refrigerator before baking or reheating.
- Individual Portions: Cut the fully baked chicken Parmesan lasagna into individual portions and wrap tightly or store in airtight containers for up to 2 months. Allow to thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
Change It Up
- Spicier: Use arrabbiata sauce in place of the marinara to make this dish spicier.
- Healthier: Add the precooked veggies of your choice to the layers for a healthy addition. I like carrots, mushrooms, zucchini, and bell peppers.
- Cheesier: Use Alfredo sauce in place of the marinara to make an even cheesier white lasagna.
This chicken parmesan lasagna recipe is a must make! The chicken is so wonderfully tender, and the lasagna is rich and tasty. Make up a couple and freeze one for a fuss free dinner next week!
If you’ve made this recipe, please be sure to let us know by leaving a star rating or a comment below. Enjoy!
Chicken Parmesan Lasagna Recipe
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt plus more to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper plus more to taste
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 large eggs divided
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 cups seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese divided
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 24 ounces marinara sauce (1 standard jar)
- 8 no-boil lasagna noodles
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Fresh basil to garnish
- Instant-Read Thermometer Optional
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Cut each chicken breast in half horizontally, creating 6 thin pieces. If necessary, pound each piece with a meat mallet to ¼-inch thickness. Season all over with salt and pepper.3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, 1½ teaspoons kosher salt, ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Create a breading station. In a shallow bowl, whisk the flour, 1 ½ teaspoons salt, ½ teaspoon pepper, oregano, and garlic powder together. In a second bowl, whisk 3 eggs with 1 tablespoon of water. In a third bowl, add the breadcrumbs and half of the Parmesan cheese.¾ cup all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 4 large eggs, 1 tablespoon water, 2 cups seasoned breadcrumbs, 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Dredge a piece of chicken in the flour, then dip it in the egg mixture, turning to coat. Let the excess egg drip off, then press the chicken into the breadcrumbs until coated. Place it on the prepared baking sheet and repeat with remaining chicken.
- Bake the chicken for 10-12 minutes, until cooked through and 165°F internally.
- While the chicken bakes, combine the ricotta cheese, remaining egg, and a bit of salt and pepper in a medium bowl.15 ounces ricotta cheese
- Remove the baked chicken from the oven and lower the temperature to 350°F.
- Spread ½ cup of the marinara sauce in an even layer over the bottom of a 9×13-inch casserole dish. Top with 4 slightly shingled lasagna noodles, ½ of the ricotta mixture, and 3 chicken cutlets. Sprinkle with half of the mozzarella and ¼ cup of Parmesan cheese. Repeat to make a second layer, starting with half of the sauce, then 4 more noodles, the remaining ricotta, and remaining chicken. Top with the remaining sauce and mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.24 ounces marinara sauce, 8 no-boil lasagna noodles, 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Spray a piece of foil with cooking spray, cover the baking dish, and bake for 45 minutes. Increase temperature to 400°F, remove foil, and bake for an additional 10 minutes, until the cheese has melted and begun to brown.
- Remove from the oven, let cool 10 minutes, and serve garnished with fresh basil.Fresh basil