Move over, cheeseburger sliders – Buffalo Chicken Sliders are taking the spotlight! The shredded chicken in these sliders is made with an array of flavorful seasonings, and the homemade bleu cheese slaw is beyond mouthwatering. Prepare to meet your new favorite buffalo chicken dish!
What’s in this Buffalo Chicken Sliders Recipe?
These buffalo chicken sliders are packed with shredded chicken and bleu cheese slaw on a thick pretzel bun. They’re sure to fill you up in no time!
- Chicken Breasts: You can boil 2 chicken breasts in 3 cups of chicken broth, make my favorite shredded chicken, or use a rotisserie chicken from the store.
- Salted Butter: Adds richness to the sauce.
- Frank’s RedHot Sauce: Gives these sliders that classic buffalo flavor.
- Spices: Ground black pepper, paprika, basil, celery salt, cumin, white pepper, cayenne pepper, and sea salt season the chicken, while salt, pepper, and garlic powder season the slaw.
- Garlic: Adds an earthy flavor and a pungent aroma to the chicken.
- Pretzel Slider Buns: Dense, chewy, and delicious!
- Bleu Cheese: Adds an earthy and funky flavor to the slaw that perfectly complements the tangy buffalo sauce.
- Sour Cream: Adds tanginess and creaminess to the slaw.
- Buttermilk: Helps thin the slaw dressing to the right consistency.
- Celery: Adds a delicious crunch to the slaw.
- Carrots: Add a touch of sweetness to the slaw.
- Red Onion: Adds a bit of a sweet and spicy flavor to the slaw.
Pro Tip: If your red onions are too strong, soak them in ice water for 10 minutes to mellow them out!
Variations on Shredded Buffalo Chicken Sliders
These sliders are so versatile. Toss the chicken in ranch or BBQ sauce for a different flavor!
We included bleu cheese in the slaw because it pairs so well with Buffalo sauce. You could also use gorgonzola for a similar flavor. If you’re a cheese lover, feel free to add on another mild and creamy cheese, like Monterey jack, cheddar, or mozzarella.
I recommend tossing the chicken in sauce after cooking. That way, you can save the leftovers for another use with a different sauce.
Honestly, it’s easiest to just buy a rotisserie chicken at the grocery store and shred it! If you want to make your own at home though, it’s also easy to just boil the chicken breast, then shred it with two forks. Have any leftover shredded chicken? No worries – here’s 44 Ways to Use Shredded Chicken!
While these sliders already have a spicy kick just as they are, there are certainly ways to crank up the heat! The easiest way to make these sliders spicier is to add more hot sauce and cayenne pepper to the chicken. You could also add crushed red pepper to the chicken mix, but only if you really want them to have a lot of spice.
How to Store and Reheat
The buffalo chicken and bleu cheese slaw will both stay fresh in the fridge, in airtight containers, for up to 3 days.
When you’re ready to make them, or reheat them, just assemble as the directions say. You’ll want to leave them in the oven for just a minute or two longer, though.
How to Freeze
While I do not recommend freezing these sandwiches, you can freeze the chicken in an airtight container or Ziplock bag for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before using.
Buffalo Chicken Sliders Recipe
For the Buffalo Chicken Sliders
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ cup salted butter (½ stick)
- 1 cup Frank's RedHot sauce
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 12 pretzel slider buns
For the Bleu Cheese Slaw
- ½ cup bleu cheese crumbles
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 ribs celery diced
- ¼ cup matchstick carrots
- ½ red onion thinly sliced
- Cook the chicken your favorite way and shred. Set aside in a large bowl. *You can also buy rotisserie chicken to save time, or simply boil the chicken in 3 cups of chicken broth*.2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Prepare the buffalo sauce: Add the butter to a small saucepan set over low heat and melt. Stir in the minced garlic and turn up the heat to medium. Cook for 30 seconds, then pour in the hot sauce. Whisk and bring up to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer for 10 minutes, stirring often.¼ cup salted butter, 1 cup Frank's RedHot sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, black pepper, paprika, basil, celery salt, cumin, white pepper, cayenne pepper, sea salt, and garlic. Use a spoon to mix. Then, pour in the buffalo sauce and stir to evenly coat.¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, ½ teaspoon ground paprika, ½ teaspoon dried basil, 1 teaspoon celery salt, ¼ teaspoon ground cumin, ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper, ¼ tsp cayenne pepper, ½ teaspoon sea salt, 1 clove garlic
- Add the pretzel buns to a casserole dish or baking sheet and cut in half. Remove the top of the buns and set aside.12 pretzel slider buns
- Add a scoop of buffalo chicken to the bottom half of each slider. Return the top bun onto the sliders and place in the oven. Bake for 5-7 minutes. This adds a delicious crisp to the bread.
- While the sliders are baking, prepare the bleu cheese slaw: Add bleu cheese, sour cream, buttermilk, salt, pepper, and garlic powder to a small bowl. Whisk to combine. Add diced celery, matchstick carrots, and thinly sliced red onion. Stir to coat.½ cup bleu cheese crumbles, ½ cup sour cream, 2 tablespoons buttermilk, ½ teaspoon kosher salt, ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, 2 ribs celery, ¼ cup matchstick carrots, ½ red onion
- Remove the sliders from the oven. Add a scoop of bleu cheese slaw into each slider, or serve on the side. Enjoy!
- Makes 12 sliders. Serving size is 2 sliders per person. If making for dinner, we usually eat 2 servings each.
- To save time, use cooked and shredded rotisserie chicken. Easy!
- Don’t leave the sliders in the oven for too long. If they bake for a long time, the pretzel buns could burn, and the chicken might dry out.
- When you’re assembling the sliders, try to make sure that there’s an even amount of buffalo chicken and bleu cheese slaw. Both elements of the sliders are delicious, and you don’t want to miss out on either!